Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Author Interview with Hunter Marshall

Name: 

Hunter Marshall

Age: 

37

Where are you from:

Idaho

A little about your self i.e. your education Family life etc:
I was born 3 months early with a disability and the doctors told my parents I wouldn’t live, that if I did I wouldn’t amount to anything. My mom, of course, believed I was more than my disability so she pushed and prodded til I reached my full potential. In my family it was either keep up, or eat dust. I have 6 siblings and always fought to keep up with the older ones. I got married and had a baby, something the doctors said would be impossible, survived domestic violence and adultery, played the single-mom game while going to school to get my BS in Social Work. Got remarried in 2008, had my daughter in 2009 and right after that was put on disability due to my already failing physical and mental health( I suffer from Cerebral Palsy, PTSD, Anxiety and Depression). I then decided that, just because I couldn’t do Social Work in the traditional sense, didn’t mean I couldn’t use it so I started writing “Wake Up! Based on a true story of abuse and betrayal” as a form of helping me heal.

Question: Tell us your latest news?

After 3 years of blood, sweat and tears (literally), “Wake Up! Based on a true story of abuse and betrayal” is now available on paperback and ebook!

Question: When and why did you begin writing?

I knew I wanted to be a writer as soon as I could read. I began writing short stories throughout my childhood and by the time I was 25 had 300 plus, but they, along with most of my personal items were burned by a man that hates me.


Question: When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I really didn’t until I saw “Wake Up! Based on a true story of abuse and betrayal” in print

Question: What inspired you to write your first book?


Wanting to heal from my past; come to terms with it and to be able to help my son as well

Question: Do you have a specific writing style?

 I would say things that could or already do happen in real life

Question: How did you come up with the title?

 I had a lot of people where I live as me “Do people really do that?” so I want to wake people up that yes, this happens far, far too much and we need to be looking for the warning signs

Question: Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp? 

Yes. That healing is possible from these kinds of things; You don't "get over it", you "get through it"

Question: How much of the book is realistic? 

All of it--- only the names, dates, and places have been changed to protect privacy

Question:Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life? 

my own life

Question: What books have most influenced your life most? 

Those with a real life story that can help others

Question: If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

 Rachel Ann Nunes

Question:What book are you reading now?

 “Ferel” By Anne Berkley

Question: Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest? 

Amy Harmon

Question: What are your current projects?

 I am currently deciding whether to do a sequel to “Wake Up! Based on a true story of abuse and betrayal” or leave it a a stand alone and change routes-- sad thing, I don’t think I can change routes. This is where my heart lies.
I’m also looking at writing children’s book

Question: Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members. 

My editor and friend Andrea Strand

Question: Do you see writing as a career? 

yes and no-- yes, because I believe I have something that needs shared and no, because even if I only help one person, then “Wake Up! wasn’t for nothing.

Question: If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

 No.

Question: Do you recall how your interest in writing originated? 

Yes, I was in third grade and we were asked to write a story. All I can remember is the title was “Pierre the Crawfish”

Question: Can you share a little of your current work with us? 

 It’s in my head at the moment as I am still hashing out the story line.

Question: Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

 Keeping my emotions in check

Question: Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? 

 I don’t have a favorite author. There are so many I love to read and so many new ones I’ve found

Question: Who designed the covers? 

I did, with the help of my dad who took the picture

Question: What was the hardest part of writing your book?

 Reliving every little detail of my past

Question: Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 

 Healing is possible, but you will never get over the trauma, but you can get through it

Question: Do you have any advice for other writers?
 

 Keep going. Write, write and write some more

Question: Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 

Anything is possible, if you want it bad enough

Question: Do you have a blog/website? if so what is it? 

 huntermarshall78.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment